Mental illness is a significant and widespread problem that disproportionately affects poor, uninsured and underinsured populations.
- 1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in a given year.
- 10 million adults are coping with serious mental illness.
- 5.1 million adults have unmet mental health needs.
- 17% adults with mental illness remain uninsured.
- Among those living below FPL, mental illnesses are move severe, last longer and have worse outcomes.
- Nonadherence to psychotropic medications is common; cost is a contributing factor.
- In 2012, 60% of uninsured Americans with a chronic condition skipped medication due to cost.
Americares and the National Council for Behavioral Health partnered to conduct a national landscape survey to collect information on needs around access to psychotropic medications for clients served and technical assistance for behavioral health organizations. Click here for the Executive Summary of the national survey report.
To view the National Council Survey Executive Summary click the PDF link below.