Resources for the Uninsured and Underinsured with Mental Illness
Mental illness is a significant and widespread problem in the United States – nationally, 43.8 million adults experienced a mental illness in the past year, with 10 million adults coping with a serious mental illness (SMI). People with mental illness are twice as likely to be poor and uninsured as compared to the general population. Those who lack insurance have difficulty accessing treatment and needed medications and are thus at an increased risk of hospitalization, poor health outcomes and diminished quality of life.
Americares Mental Health Initiative (MHI) offers a variety of resources for behavioral health providers in the U.S., including free psychotropic and primary care medicine, as well as medical supplies and personal care products, for distribution to patients that cannot afford their prescriptions, serving as a valuable resource for the sector. This enables more low-income, uninsured and underinsured people with behavioral health disorders to access the medicine they need.
Become a Partner
Gain access to FREE medicine, medical supplies and hygiene products for your low income clients. Visit USAccess to complete our partner application - Click on the red icon that says, "Click here to create an account"
Americares and the National Council for Behavioral Health
The National Council for Behavioral Health and Americares are partnering to raise awareness about the resources offered through Americares. The Council hosted a webinar to share information about the Mental Health Initiative (MHI) and how your center can apply to receive free medicine, supplies and vaccines for low-income, uninsured and underinsured clients.
- RECORDED WEBINAR! Click here to access the recorded version of the webinar
- National Council Survey Executive Summary
MHI Partner Eligibility Requirements:
- 501c3, charitable, public or government organization
- Have the legal authority to receive and dispense prescription medications
- Serve patients who are uninsured or underinsured, with income < 300% of the federal poverty level
- Dispense Americares donated products to clients for free
- Employ inventory management procedures to track distribution and usage of Americares donated products to the patient level, in the unlikely event of a recall or adverse event
Materials and Resources:
- Americares MHI Overview
- A Novel Collaborative Practice Model for the Treatment of Mental Illness in a Free Clinic Setting
- National Behavioral Health Barometer - Report by SAMHSA-HRSA
- Parity or Disparity: The State of Mental Health in America 2015 – Mental Health America
- Suicide Safe: The Suicide Prevention App for Health Care Providers - Free SAMHSA Resource